Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Fabrics Xmas Challenge Suit


I. Made. A. Suit!

When Katia Fabrics asked me to collaborate with them for a Chistmas Fabrics Challenge I couldn't say no. They didn't even had to twist my arm ;-). The Katia fabrics webshop contains, besides the yarns they are well known for also, quite a selection of poplin, sweats and canvas fabrics with fun prints. Really suitable for kids clothing and making bags. I decided to challenge myself and make something for me to wear.

You can vote for my outfit from 21 until 23 december by liking the photo in this link


The fabrics 


I choose two fabrics that for me have a very Christmassy feel to them. Both poplin fabrics. The black one has a lovely little seahorse print. And the white one is called Xmas poplin and has icebears, trees and snowflakes on them. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...



The suit

My first idea was to make a jumpsuit, out of the black Seahorse poplin, but I like my garments to be versatile and soon changed it to be a suit. So I could wear it as a faux jumpsuit or as two separates and be able to combine it with other pieces. Mix&Match

I started by making the blazer and used a pattern from of Knipmode (a Dutch sewing magazine). The pattern is called Marie and it's from the January 2018 edition. You can find it here.

Jasje Marie, Knipmode januari 2018
I made a few alterations...What else is new ;-)? I shortened it, added cuffs and a detachable waistband, left out the pockets, broadened the lapel and made the cut-out on the lapel higher.

Added waistband and loops in side seams

Hightened cut-outs in the lapels

The pants





For the pants I used a palazzo pants pattern. I always struggle to find the perfect pattern for pants and this one fits me very well. First I enhanced the waistband. Looking back the cut was way to high. I ended up lowering the waistband, but this was after I constructed the whole pants...Oops! 


Time for my friend the seamripper. It was actually a happy accident, because now I could add the stripes on the side. I forgot.
Indecisive me. 

....eventually I decided not to go for the stripes. I am saving this lovely golden and silver sparkly band for another project. I think it looks great with the band, but for a 'hippy' kinda girl it's just too much attention to the wrong place. Gotta know your strong points


The blouse

I only had 80 cm of the Xmas poplin fabric. It was the last bit at the time, I guess it's a popular fabric, somehow... 
I tried to 'sell' it as a blouse to my ten year old son, but he thought it was to girly. Gotta love his honesty. So I had to squeeze something out of it for me. As an addition to the suit I decided to make a simple blouse. I drew the pattern myself, using a blouse I bought several years ago as a guideline.


As a cuff I added ties and the little two colored buttons were given to me just recently by one of my dearest friends. Thanx J!

In awe!

I am in awe with this suit! And just love this adorable blouse. It was a real pleasure working with this fabric. It didn't fringe at all after cutting. I can wear it all year long, well maybe not the blouse. But the suit surely I can. I am going to wear some tights underneath the pants when it is freezing outside. Like NOW!
In awe!

Vote for me

Thank you Katia Fabrics for giving me this opportunity. 

And for all you peeps who love my suit and blouse as much as I do, you can vote for me. All entries for the #fabricsxmaschallenge are entered in a competition.
The voting starts on the 21 of december on Katia's blog where they will show all the creations and eventually the winner. 

Want to be reminded of this? Follow me on Facebook or Instagram and I make sure of it...

Thanks for reading and Happy Holdidays!


Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Men's suit magic!

Turn a unloved suit into something new  (#therefashioners2017)  Nederlandse versie That's the challenge I encountered on Instagram and it's right up my alley: Making an existing outfit into something new or partly reusing it IS SÓ MUCH FUN. #loveit I did not have a suit that I wanted to remake, so the first part of this challenge started. Shopping! Looking for that unloved suit to be dramatically remade. At my third(!) trip to the second hand shop I choose the only suit that was available as a whole set. In fact, it was still very beautiful and it looked exactly like a suit that my love once had...?  Coincidence! The fabric does not have a very exciting print, but luckily it's oversized so there is enough fabric to spice it up. Let the magic begin: transform a neat men's suit into a cool women's suit that I can wear daily. Dismantle While dismantling the suit I saved as much original detail as I could. Interesting to see how such a suit is ma

Een comfortabel LIESL damespak

I. Made. A. Suit! English...click here! Dit ultieme dames pak was nog wat miste in mijn garderobe. Niet zomaar een damespak, nee eentje die comfortabel is. Én op verschillende manieren te stylen is. De stof mocht ik uitzoeken op de website van Katia Fabrics . Een wat dikker katoen met leuk zeepaardjes print die soepel valt. Het pak Even overwoog ik om een jumpsuit te maken, maar ik hou ervan als mijn kledingstukken 'multi- combineerbaar' zijn. Dit pak kan ik als een tweedelig-jumpsuit gebruiken en als twee aparte kledingstukken stylen met andere items uit mijn garderobe. Mix&Match Het jasje Ik begon met het maken van de blazer en gebruikt een Knipmode patroon. Het patroon is jasje 18 Marie uit Knipmode januari 2018. Het zusje van Marie is jasje 19 Ester. Beide patronen zijn online (pdf en papier) te bestellen en hebben dezelfde basis. Je vindt  Marie hier  en Ester hier . Jasje Marie, Knipmode januari 2018 Jasje Ester, Knipm

A recap of my Minervacrafts blogs!

One year anniversary! It was a 'busew' year! In which I wrote 13 blogposts for the Minervacrafts website. Such al lovely collaboration which allows me to work with the most beautiful fabrics and I loved every minute of it! At this moment 10 blogs are posted online, three more are scheduled for later this year. And some new fabrics are on it's way to be reviewed and turned into LIESL - creations. Ten LIESL's in a row One The first blog I wrote was this one about the famous Kielo Wrap Dress from Named Clothing. My version with longer sleeves has a bit of an Asian theme. Read about it here Two The second blog was a bigger project with lots of embellishments: The pink polka-dot trenchcoat. I was inspired by a trenchcoat I saw and tried to recreate it.  Want to see if I've succeeded? Click  here . Three The third one was a dress again in a 'love at first sight' fabric. I have a soft spot for graphic fabrics in black-and-white w