Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Summerdress from lovely leftovers!

Do you also find it difficult to throw away the leftovers of that lovely fabric? I do!
More than once it happened that when I throw it away I think of something that I could have done with it ....

My mother use to keep scraps of fabric too. Ideal for making dolls dresses. Perhaps it then emerged, that I keep leftovers.


(Nederlandse versie)

Scrapbusting

Time to shrink that stash of leftovers. I have a lot of leftover jersey and the selection I made fits nicely together in terms of color and design. Now a plan to process them in a fun way.

I went looking for a pattern for a dress with many pattern pieces that I could easily cut into smaller pattern pieces. It was this dress from Knipmode. Not meant for jersey, so I could easily leave the split and zipper. Joy!
Jurk 1, Knipmode juni 2018
I cut the pattern pieces and the puzzling could begin. The particular shape of the front lent itself well to further cut up that part, so I could process smaller pieces of fabric.


I attached the middle piece of this cut up pattern to the middle part of the front skirt. I had a long thin strip of the floral fabric that I could use entirely. I had a larger piece of the same fabric, just enough for the back skirt.

'Key-hole'

The stripe fabric was the most challenging. So I had the idea to create a 'key-hole' back, because you'll need slightly less fabric. In my enthusiasm for this idea and the concentration to ensure that the lines would go through I made a clear beginners mistake ...

.... I cut the same part twice for the back of the top. Whaaaaah! Oh well, you hardly see it, right? And I had no choice (read: no fabric to do it over). In the back I had to add some extra fabric to the puzzel anyway.
Added piece, do you see it?
At the front I used the last remnant of stripe fabric. I let the top of that pattern part coincide with the first black line. I did this before in a t-shirt and a racerback top that I made. This creates a nice transition between the two fabrics. (Watch the video of the t-shirt of below or read about the racerback top via this link.)
 

Construction

The assembly is fairly simple. It was a fun puzzle. The fabric combination works very well. Love it!


I started with the key-hole at the back. With a few extra pins I made sure that the stripes matched during stitching. It is always exciting to sew over pins. Hold your breath

I finished the 'key-hole' with a thin binding strip (2 cm wide) of jersey. I have taken 95% of the circumference of the opening for the length of the binding. The ends were stitched first and I sew the binding on the right side first and then I folded it so that there was an edge of approx. 0.5 cm.


I stitched it with a twin needle. One needle stitched on the binding and the other needle on the back piece. On the inside I just cut off the edge.
With pinning of the side seams I found out that also there the lines match. Happy coincidence!
Before I stitched the sleeves, I finished off the hem with a twin needle.

Try out

Because the pattern wasn't intended for jersey I had to take the dress in here and there. In the side seam under the armholes as much as 2.5 cm!
And also the length had to be a few centimeters shorter, but that is mainly because I am short myself. haha!

For the finishing of the neckline I used a binding made from the 3 different fabrics. I took 80% of each part of the neckline as the length for the binding.

After attaching the neckbinding, I stitched it on the right side in the seam so you (almost) do not see it. I used both black and white thread for this, depending on the surface. Nerd ;-)


It is a super comfy dress, which is really airy because of the 'key-hole'. How many night till summer?!




Do you wonder what I made earlier with the same fabrics? Then take a look at my Instagram.
@madebyliesl

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Men's suit magic!

Turn a unloved suit into something new  (#therefashioners2017)  Nederlandse versie That's the challenge I encountered on Instagram and it's right up my alley: Making an existing outfit into something new or partly reusing it IS SÓ MUCH FUN. #loveit I did not have a suit that I wanted to remake, so the first part of this challenge started. Shopping! Looking for that unloved suit to be dramatically remade. At my third(!) trip to the second hand shop I choose the only suit that was available as a whole set. In fact, it was still very beautiful and it looked exactly like a suit that my love once had...?  Coincidence! The fabric does not have a very exciting print, but luckily it's oversized so there is enough fabric to spice it up. Let the magic begin: transform a neat men's suit into a cool women's suit that I can wear daily. Dismantle While dismantling the suit I saved as much original detail as I could. Interesting to see how such a suit is ma

Een comfortabel LIESL damespak

I. Made. A. Suit! English...click here! Dit ultieme dames pak was nog wat miste in mijn garderobe. Niet zomaar een damespak, nee eentje die comfortabel is. Én op verschillende manieren te stylen is. De stof mocht ik uitzoeken op de website van Katia Fabrics . Een wat dikker katoen met leuk zeepaardjes print die soepel valt. Het pak Even overwoog ik om een jumpsuit te maken, maar ik hou ervan als mijn kledingstukken 'multi- combineerbaar' zijn. Dit pak kan ik als een tweedelig-jumpsuit gebruiken en als twee aparte kledingstukken stylen met andere items uit mijn garderobe. Mix&Match Het jasje Ik begon met het maken van de blazer en gebruikt een Knipmode patroon. Het patroon is jasje 18 Marie uit Knipmode januari 2018. Het zusje van Marie is jasje 19 Ester. Beide patronen zijn online (pdf en papier) te bestellen en hebben dezelfde basis. Je vindt  Marie hier  en Ester hier . Jasje Marie, Knipmode januari 2018 Jasje Ester, Knipm

A recap of my Minervacrafts blogs!

One year anniversary! It was a 'busew' year! In which I wrote 13 blogposts for the Minervacrafts website. Such al lovely collaboration which allows me to work with the most beautiful fabrics and I loved every minute of it! At this moment 10 blogs are posted online, three more are scheduled for later this year. And some new fabrics are on it's way to be reviewed and turned into LIESL - creations. Ten LIESL's in a row One The first blog I wrote was this one about the famous Kielo Wrap Dress from Named Clothing. My version with longer sleeves has a bit of an Asian theme. Read about it here Two The second blog was a bigger project with lots of embellishments: The pink polka-dot trenchcoat. I was inspired by a trenchcoat I saw and tried to recreate it.  Want to see if I've succeeded? Click  here . Three The third one was a dress again in a 'love at first sight' fabric. I have a soft spot for graphic fabrics in black-and-white w